Do you want to open an online store? Do you want to sell things? Selling products and services online is quite easy but designing an online store is one of the most difficult task. But don’t worry you can create your own online store quite easily using WordPress. In this article I am going to tell you some best e-commerce plugins for WordPress which convert your normal WordPress site into complete online store. So without wasting time lets start.
Have a look at 10 Misconceptions about WordPress
Qualities of a good E-commerce plugin
There are various e-commerce plugins available for WordPress. But not all plugins are good. There are some essential qualities of a plugin that you should look out for. Some plugins are good for selling digital goods like e-books, music, video content etc. Others are better suited for selling physical goods that need inventory management. There are some plugins which are good at both. You need to choose plugin depending upon what you are selling online.
Next you need to consider payment gateways. You need to make sure that your plugin support the payment gateway that you will utilize to accept payment.
Most of the e-commerce plugins for WordPress come with a theme. You need to make sure that whatever plugin you are using for your online store must be compatible with your WordPress theme. If the plugin is not compatible with your theme then your site will not work properly.
It is impossible for an e-commerce plugin to have all the feature. Most of the plugins solve this problem by the use of addons. These addons provide extra functionalities that your online store needed. Make sure your plugin have enough addons available to connect your e-commerce WordPress site with other services.
Last but not the least you need to make sure that your plugin have enough support options available. There is no doubt that you are going to hire a developer to work on your site, but you would still need help from time to time. Make sure that plugin has support system where you can get help.
5 Best E-Commerce Plugins for WordPress
Now I am going to give you the list of 5 best e-commerce plugins for WordPress which fulfills the above criteria:
One of the most popular e-commerce plugins for WordPress is WooCommerce. It is acquired by Automattic(the company behind WordPress.com) in 2015. There are large number of themes and addons available for WooCommerce. It is backed by large and passionate developer community behind it. Having said that there are certain pros and cons of using WooCommerce.
Pros of using WooCommerce
- Extension and Themes: There are hundreds of themes and extension available for WooCommerce. Large collection of themes means that you have tons of options when choosing the layout of your site.
- Support both digital and physical goods: You can sell both physical as well as digital goods like e-books, music and video content.
- Complete Inventory management: WooCommerce is equipped with tools to manage your inventory.
- Payment and Shipping Options: WooCommerce has built in support for popular payment gateways and you can add many other payment options using extensions. It can also calculate shipping and taxes.
Cons of Using WooCommerce
- Too many Options: WooCommerce is quite easy to use but too many options are present in the setting page of WooCommerce which confuses the user.
- Finding Addons: There are lots of addons available for user but sometime users are unable find the required addons.
- Theme support: WooCommerce works with any theme but it is not easy to set it up with all themes.
Easy digital downloads allows you to easily sell digital products like e-books, softwares etc. It is very easy to use and comes with powerful features to create beautiful looking digital stores. Like WooCommerce it has all the features like easy to use, extensions, themes and awesome support.
The only con of using this plugin is that you can only sell digital goods. You cannot sell physical goods using this plugin.
iTheme exchange is yet another e-commerce plugins for WordPress. Pros and cons of using this plugin is given below
- Multiple Product type: iTheme exchange support both digital downloads and physical goods.
- Easy and quick setup: It is quite easy to setup. Upon activation it takes you directly to the setup wizard where you can quickly set up your site.
- Intuitive UI: It offers nice user interface to add products and mange your e-commerce store.
The only con of using iThemeExchange is smaller community. The community of iThemeExchange is quite small compared to WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
The fourth contender of e-commerce plugin in our list is Shopp.
Pros of using Shopp
- Separate Tables in Database: Shopp uses separate table in database to manage data. The developers of shopp believe that by using separate tables in Database will improve the performance.
- Multiple Product type: You can sell digital as well as physical goods using shopp.
Cons of using Shopp
The most important disadvantages of using shopp is that it has no free support. You have to pay for support if you need it.
Our final contestant in the list of best e-commerce plugins for WordPress is WPEcommerce. It has all the features required for creating e-commerce site. Some of the features are:
- Easily add products to your catalog.
- Monitor sales and reporting
- Configure taxes and shipping
- Industry leading payment gateways
- White-glove customer support
That’s all for today. Stay tune for next tutorial. If you have not subscribed our weekly-newsletter then please subscribe by clicking the link below